[nabs-l] graduation ceremony

Serena serenacucco at verizon.net
Wed Apr 22 22:57:33 UTC 2009

Hi Ashley

Let me first say I absolutely don't use or condone sighted guide, unless
it's absolutely necessary!  I used a sighted guide at my graduation.  I
don't really think it took much away from my moment, but more power to you
if you think you don't need one.  I think sighted guide is all right, as
long as you ask for it and think it's really necessary.  I also think it's
ok if you think that, if you don't use it in a particular situation, the
powers that be may ask you to do something else that's really inappropriate.
In my case, the DSS person wanted me to sit in a separate location reserved
for people with disabilities.  I refused!  Even if I didn't need a guide for
assistance, which I really did, I still would've used it, sacrificing my
independence, as a compromise, so the DSS person wouldn't win, as far as
making me sit in a separate location.

One last instance in which sighted guide is ok is in a crowded place and
when the person who suggests that you use it is acting in good faith, E.G.
your friend from college who may just so happen to have a disability of
his/her own, who knows you don't want to use it, but suggests it cuz of the
crowd.

Serena