[nabs-l] "Blindness" vs. "Disability" a philosophical question?

Christopher Kchao thisischris89 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 07:10:50 UTC 2009

Hello,
I really doubt that I can fully buy into this. While social context is
certainly important and a definite determining factor in how blindness is
perceived, it isn't the only barrier we face and certainly doesn't encompass
blindness in its entirety. For example, I can't even begin to ponder the
idea that the difficulty I face with navigating the construction sites that
are so ubiquitous in New York city is a result of social arrangements. I
feel like such heavy emphasis on social factors often distorts our view of
blindness. In all blindness circles, I've observed discussion about how
ignorant sighted people are, or the stupid things sighted people do in
regards to our blindness. A lot of us shrug blindness off as being the norm,
but I suppose it's only that in our own heads. How many sighted people can
adequately use their cellphones while driving and dial by touch? How many
sighted people will turn on a light to look for an item in a cabinet right
in front of them? Blind people have no choice but to dial by touch, and the
light will be of little to no use.
Being blind is certainly no picnic but at the same time, it isn't something
that will stop our lives from progressing. The little bit of frustrationI
periodically experience as a result of being blind doesn't come from all the
things I wish I could see or everything I'm missing out on. The frustration
comes from things like searching an entire room for a piece of paper smaller
than a credit card that fell on the floor. While empowerment is certainly
important among the blind community, we can't afford not to be realistic and
dismiss the practical setbacks imposed by blindness. We as blind people are
most certainly not self made.
Therefore, I cannot simply shrug blindness off as a neutral or meaningless
characteristic, not in good conscience anyway. There are numerous people,
both blind and sighted that have worked to increase our ability to integrate
and adapt in the sighted world. These people helped to enable us.
Personally, I believe that viewing blindness as a characteristic is more
relevant to our identity; it does not magically make us inside the norm in a
sighted society.