[nabs-l] "Blindness" vs. "Disability" a philosophical question?

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Thu Apr 23 04:26:23 UTC 2009

With that argument, everyone has characteristics that at times become
disabling. For instance, red hair is just a characteristic. However, if
an actress with red hair auditions for a play where the director
expresses a wish for his characters to all have black hair, then the
redhead is temporarily disabled. There are things she can do about it,
though.

There's a line to be drawn. Some characteristics will place you in a
disabled position more often than others. We could argue that red hair
and blindness are both characteristics. However, blindness puts one in a
disabled position far more often than red hair ever would in this
society. Perhaps that's why red hair is just a characteristic while
blindness is also categorized as an impairment.

Marc, you say blindness is an impairment and not a disability. Then what
is a disability?

Haben