[nabs-l] "Blindness" vs. "Disability" a philosophical question?

Haben Girma habnkid at aol.com
Sat Apr 25 03:31:39 UTC 2009

Hi Mark,

I feel that the terms "persons with disabilities" and "disabled persons"
are both a bit vague and interpretable in various ways. One could read
it as "persons with disabilities caused by a lack of universal designs"
or "persons with disabilities that prevent them from being full
participants in society." I find that the message one gets from these
terms depends on the attitudes they approach them with. I think it would
take a lot of positive thinking to see that the term "disabled person"
means social forces are restricting the person's participation. Someone
with a negative attitude might hear the phrase "disabled person" and
think "Oh, that guy just can't do it." The term "disabled person" would
probably be interpreted as an inherently incompetent person rather than
the more open-minded interpretation of one affected by social forces.
Come to think of it, most people would be more likely to adopt a
negative interpretation from both terms. I do like that the term
"persons with disabilities" acknowledges that the subjects are persons
before going to stress that the persons have disabilities. Consider the
term "persons with socially incurred impairments." Can one possess a
"socially incurred impairment?" Like a disability, a socially incurred
impairment is abstract. So now I've come to that philosophical realm
where we ask whether abstract concepts, such as love and intelligence,
can be possessed. If not, then it would seem OK to use the term "persons
with disabilities" because it would not mean that we possess the
disabilities. If we can possess abstract concepts, if we can possess
disabilities, then we can also possess "socially incurred impairments"
because that's precisely what disabilities are, as you've described it.
So if we can also possess socially incurred impairments, then it would
seem philosophically appropriate to use the term persons with
disabilities. Not that disabled persons is wrong, of course. Both terms
can be interpreted in a variety of ways, as I said at the start, and
I've just been thinking out some of those possibilities.

Yes, I, too, detest the term special needs. I would swallow it as a kid
thinking that was how grown-ups wanted to get ablebodied children to be
nice to disabled children. "Special" is a nice and simple word that all
kids can understand. I now question it's use for any group, but it's
especially repulsive to hear it used for adults.

Haben