[nabs-l] National Federation of the Blind Files Complaint with Maryland Department of Education

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Sat Aug 1 20:10:42 UTC 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Melissa Riccobono, President

(410) 235-3073

<mailto:president at nfbmd.org>president at nfbmd.org

Sharon Krevor-Weisbaum, Attorney

(410) 962-1030

<mailto:skw at browngold.com>skw at browngold.com

National Federation of the Blind
Files Complaint with Maryland Department of Education

Advocates Say Baltimore Schools Not Educating Blind Children

Baltimore, Maryland (July 29, 2009):  The
National Federation of the Blind and its Maryland
affiliate have filed a complaint with the
Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE)
alleging violations of the Individuals with
Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and parallel
state law by the Baltimore City Public Schools
(BCPS).  The complaint addresses systemic
problems that prevent blind students in the BCPS
from receiving a free, appropriate public
education as required by law.  Among other things, the BCPS has failed to:

·        Properly assess students who are blind
or have low vision to determine their educational needs;

·        Properly train blind students in the
skills of blindness, especially Braille and travel with a white cane; and

·        Provide access to appropriate assistive
technology, such as Braille printers, Braille
note-taking devices, print magnification devices,
and text-to-speech screen access technology for computers.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National
Federation of the Blind, said: “Blind students
can compete on terms of equality with their
sighted peers and go on to lead productive and
successful lives, but only if they are provided
with an equal education.  The National Federation
of the Blind will do everything in our power to
ensure that every blind child receives the
educational services he or she needs to succeed,
and that is why we have taken this action.”

Melissa Riccobono, President of the National
Federation of the Blind of Maryland,
said:  “Baltimore schools have produced blind
students who are functionally illiterate, cannot
travel independently outside of their homes, and
do not possess other critical skills that they
need to compete on an equal basis with their
sighted peers.  The National Federation of the
Blind of Maryland has a responsibility to
advocate for the needs of blind students, and we
cannot and will not tolerate the failure of the
BCPS to abide by state and federal law and
provide these students with the education they
need in order to live independent and productive
lives.  We hope that the BCPS will accept our
proposals to expand and improve their programs
for blind students and work with us to ensure
that blind children in Baltimore receive the
equal education to which they are entitled.”

A press conference about this action will be held
today at 1:45 p.m. in the Members Hall of the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan
Institute, 1800 Johnson Street, Baltimore, MD 21230.

###