[nabs-l] learning arabic or chinese

sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 3 14:03:51 UTC 2009

Hi Eliza and all,

I've given this a lot of thought, so I hope you can bear with me as I
share my thought process with you.

Learning languages for anyone consists of reading, writing and
speaking. for blind people, speaking can be learned (I tghink) the
same way as sighted folks would. However, things get a bit dicey with
reading and writing. Here's my thoughts on that.

First, a Braille code must be learned for the language. If it's a
romance language (French, Spanish, Italian, etc.) this will be simple,
only requireing an accent table in addition to the standard Braille
letters. For non-romance languages the trouble is that there are few
people to teach new Braille codes to students, and few online
resources. This makes learning in a sighted classroom setting
challenging. The following two links might help. The first talks about
Chinese Braille and the second speaks more generally about teaching
Braille-reading students new languages. It's a page on transcribing
Braille into foreign languages, but there are other links on the page
worth checking out.

Chinese Braille:
http://www.braille.ch/pschin-e.htm

Transcribing Braille into foreign languages:
http://www.miusa.org/ncde/tipsheets/foreignlanguageandblind/infoguide/transcribingbraille

I, like Eliza, would love to be able to learn a Braille system as well
as use screenreaders to access foreign languages. The next challenge
is to access material professors might give you in the language you
are trying to learn. You might know the Braille code for your Arabic
book, but if a transcriber doesn't, how will you get the book in
Braille? For online materials, will JAWS really read them in the
correct languages, or do you have to get some other software for them
to be recognized? Or is it necessary for everything to be written
phonetically? These questions must all be answered before proceeding.

The last issue is translating Braille languages into print. For
romance languages this is relatively simple, but not so much for
Arabic or Chinese and other pictographic writing. I wish that a
Nemetex-like piece of software, which fairly seamlessly translates
Nemeth code into print math, existed for languages too, but I have yet
to find anything like that.

So those are my long-winded thoughts on learning languages; I hope you
find those links helpful.

Sarah