[nabs-l] CVS/pharmacy Enhancing Accessibility for the Visually Impaired To Its

Sarah Alawami marrie12 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 21:34:16 UTC 2009

For Immediate Release

CONTACTS:

Mike DeAngelis

CVS/pharmacy

(401) 770-2645

Mitch Pomerantz

American Council of the Blind

(626) 372-5150

Adrianna Montague-Gray

American Foundation for the Blind

(212) 502-7675

CVS/pharmacy Enhancing Accessibility for the Visually Impaired To Its
Web Site and Store Point-of-Sales Devices

Initiative Announced In Collaboration with State and National
Organizations for the Blind

WOONSOCKET, R.I., July 30, 2009:  CVS/pharmacy, the nation's largest
retail pharmacy, announced today that it is implementing functional
improvements to benefit its customers with visual impairments and other
disabilities.  The company has installed tactile keypads in all CVS
stores and it will enhance
its website in 2009.

Today's announcement is the result of a collaboration between
CVS/pharmacy, the American Foundation for the Blind, American Council of
the Blind and California Council of the Blind.  CVS/pharmacy's actions
were applauded by these groups.

"We are pleased to collaborate with organizations committed to advocacy
for the blind and introduce service enhancements in our stores and
online that will increase access for our visually impaired customers,"
said Helena Foulkes, Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing
Officer of CVS Caremark.

Point-of-Sale Improvements

CVS/pharmacy's point-of-sale improvements are designed to assist
customers who cannot read information on a flat-screen point-of-sale
device and therefore cannot privately enter their PIN or other
confidential information.  All CVS stores have been equipped, at a
minimum, with a tactile device at both the front check-out counter and
the pharmacy counter to ensure that customers unable to use a
flat-screen keypad do not have to provide their PIN to a store employee.
The company is also training its store employees to provide appropriate
interaction with visually impaired customers regarding the use of the
new tactile devices.

"Without tactile keys, blind and visually impaired people have no choice
but to share their PINs with strangers," explained Melanie Brunson,
executive director of the American Council of the Blind.  "Today's
announcement, and the collaboration that led to it, demonstrates
CVS/pharmacy's ongoing commitment to its blind and visually impaired
customers."

Web Site Access

The initiative includes CVS/pharmacy's commitment to ensure that its
online pharmacy,  < http://www.cvs.com/
<mhtml:{1CB00C23-EFD6-45FF-ACC7-CD53E5BBEFE8}mid://00000006/!x-usc:http://ww
w.cvs.com/> > www.cvs.com
<mhtml:{1CB00C23-EFD6-45FF-ACC7-CD53E5BBEFE8}mid://00000006/!x-usc:http://ww
w.cvs.com/>  , is accessible to
persons with a wide range of disabilities, including blind computer
users who use a screen reader or magnification technology on their
computers and those who rely on a keyboard instead of a mouse.  CVS.com
will implement these enhancements by the end of 2009.

"An accessible web site is crucial if people with vision loss are to
obtain goods, services and information on an equal footing," said Paul
Schroeder, vice president, programs and policy group of the American
Foundation for the Blind.  "We appreciate CVS/pharmacy's commitment to
ensure that CVS.com is usable by the broadest range of online consumers,
including those who have disabilities."

About CVS/pharmacy

CVS/pharmacy, the retail division of CVS Caremark Corporation (NYSE:
CVS), is America's largest retail pharmacy with more than 6,900
CVS/pharmacy and Longs Drugs store locations. CVS/pharmacy is committed
to improving the lives of those we serve by making innovative and
high-quality health and pharmacy services safe, affordable and easy to
access, both in its stores and online at CVS.com. General information
about CVS/pharmacy and CVS Caremark is available at  <
http://www.cvscaremark.com/
<mhtml:{1CB00C23-EFD6-45FF-ACC7-CD53E5BBEFE8}mid://00000006/!x-usc:http://ww
w.cvscaremark.com/> > www.cvscaremark.com
<mhtml:{1CB00C23-EFD6-45FF-ACC7-CD53E5BBEFE8}mid://00000006/!x-usc:http://ww