[nabs-l] new discussion group

Hina haltaf at carrollu.edu
Sat Aug 8 19:16:33 UTC 2009

Dear friends,

It is our pleasure to inform you that NFB now hosts an email
discussion group called Blind International Students.

But don't let the name fool you, this group is much more than that.
It is an online community of blind and visually impaired individuals
who are either currently or were previously studying as international
students or immigrant students in the United States, as well as anyone
interested in learning more about their cultures and experiences.

Please visit and forward this webpage to those who might be interested:

Like you, these immigrants and international students are also
changing what it means to be blind.  Many of them defy what others say
is impossible, and came on their own to America to study in and
contribute to the fields of math, sciences, engineering, economics and
other disciplines.

We hope this email group can serve both as a gateway to bring more of
these individuals into NFB, and serve as a platform for them to meet
and support one another.  On the fun side, we will also organize
online tournaments and online fantasy World Cup to build friendships.
Your creative and fun suggestions are also certainly most welcome!

To make it happen, we need your support.  Please kindly forward this
message to those in your state NFB organization who might be
interested in joining, and inform your university's disability office
about this mailing list.

Thank you very much for your strong support.  Hope to see you there!

Best regards,

Hina Altaf (Wisconsin) and Philip So (New Jersey / New York)

Feel free to contact us at:
Philip So (pcs2001 at columbia.edu)
Hina Altaf (
hinaaltaf1983 at gmail.com