[nabs-l] it all had to start somewhere

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 03:57:46 UTC 2009

Meghan,

I do believe you've hit upon the reason why scholarship winners are
not all active Federationists.  The NFB selects students it believes
have strong potential to lead or otherwise contribute to the
organization in the future.

Some of those are Federationists already--students whose dreams are
big, and their determination bigger.  We hope that they will use the
investment to finance their dreams and perhaps go a little further
than they thought they could.

Others have scarcely heard of the Federation before applying.  The
committee tries to find those who will not accept the status quo.
Any why not?  We of the National Federation of the Blind actively
reject what they tell us is normal for a blind person.

It is only natural for someone who wants more to find common cause
with us.  We are sick of scraping by month-to-month on the public's
back.  We demand more for ourselves than a life of paratransit, party
lines, and internet surfing.  We demand the opportunity to compete on
the terms of the sighted, if we can.  As long as the opportunity is
genuine, we find that our determination more than makes up for the
shortcomings of blindness.  Not only can we compete, but we do it
every single day.

We're always glad to find like-minded people.  =)

Joseph

--
How many children in America are not taught how to read?
If they are blind, the answer is 90%.