[nabs-l] Part-Time work during school

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 03:24:13 UTC 2009

On our campus, if you qualify for work study, that is, if you qualify
financially, then in most positions you take priority over students
who don't, but there are definitely students who work on campus who
don't qualify for work study, especially in the more specialized jobs
such as in the tech center.

Working on campus is convenient, because you don't need a ride, and
they are sensative to your schedule, but i'm sure there are several
options close to campus as well.

Students work everywhere from in the library to the cafeteria to
offices. You could probably do something simple like answer phones or
secretarial work or cleaning; just look around, but you could also try
to find something like working in your major's department or tutoring
in your area of expertese, because then you would be getting a good
part time job that would also look good on the resume.

One strategy some of my friends have found to be successful is to find
a job during a break, because that is when jobs are looking for more
people, and if you get one in the summer, you can continue it once the
year starts. I'm not sure if Christmas break is long enough, but if
you don't have to find work immediately, look and apply during the
summer. This way you'll get a head start on all of the students coming
the next year looking for a job.

I personally don't work, because i haven't needed to, but i definitely
stay active and volunteer, so if there is a job in a particular place
you want but don't get immediately, you could volunteer. This
establishes a good relationship and tells the employer that you are
dedicated enough to help without pay. I am currently doing this in an
office of which i was not hired last year, and since then i have been
able to greatly strengthen my relationships there by proving that i do
good work. Obviously some jobs such as retail wouldn't really have
those opportunities, but some offices such as the substance abuse
office I volunteer at do.

Cindy