[nabs-l] Electronic College Textbooks

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 22:07:34 UTC 2009

The promise is that the future belongs to DAISY.  And you know, it
might just, if only because the emerging standard for ebooks is the
epub format, and epub as a standard is fairly close to DAISY.  The
probability is that with the appropriate access key, a literary work
in epub format would likely work flawlessly in our favorite DAISY
text reader of choice, with current firmware.

In order to pave the way for widespread DAISY availability for
collegiate texts, it is then necessary to encourage the adoption of
epub versions of these texts.  To do this, it is necessary to remove
present roadblocks to adoption of the format.  Once that is done, it
will be easy to make each of the three major stakeholders realize
that electronic texts are in their best interest.  Finally, providers
of reading technology and content producers will need to produce an
offering that suits the need of a student.

The Roadblocks

Currently, there are a few things that stand in the way of widespread
adoption of electronic textbooks, mostly due to publisher practices.

The first is existing DRM (Digital Rights Management) restrictions.
Students routinely photocopy or otherwise reproduce content of their
textbooks for use in class assignments.  If existing DRM permissions
even allow these uses, they are typically heavily restricted to the
degree that they may as well not be present at all.

While DRM does not stop those determined to defeat it for legitimate
or other uses, this can be mitigated using "fair" DRM policies that
still discourage abuse.  For works of a scholarly nature, this means
printing and copying must be permitted.  They can be restricted to
perhaps 10 pages or 2000 words at a time without significantly
impeding legitimate uses, but these should not be restricted in terms
of time or life of the book.  Of course, restricting the use of
screen access technologies should never be done.

The next issue is price.  An unfortunate trend is for an ebook
intended for college students to be priced at 50-75% of the printed
book with an expiration of three months.  This doesn't pass the smell
test for college students who, as a rule, tend to be pretty bright.
They know that it is expensive to print, warehouse, and ship books.
Students also know that electronic delivery costs so little by
comparison that it hardly warrants consideration.

Of course, the publishers will charge the price the market will bear,
and publishers already add additional "free" content to books to
justify prices that are seen as too high by most students.  Based on
the textbook prices as of this Fall 2009 term, it seems that textbook
producers should well consider approximately 50% of the shelf price
for five months' access to the content.  I'd suggest a full year-long
license at 60% and 75% for no expiry.  This also poses potential for
about a 5% surcharge on the difference for upgrading your book
license and the possibility of selling the latest edition at a
discount to customers of older editions of a book.  The market
potential seems significant.

The third barrier is that existing access technologies aren't up to
par.  The Amazon devices feature a crude annotation system, but even
if a system today were to support bookmarks, highlighting,
annotations, and more, we don't have a way to share this content
between devices.  In fact often we cannot even use the books on more
than a single device, to say nothing of the content.  It's probable
that a book will find its way onto at least two or three computers, a
dedicated book reader, and a mobile phone.  Synchronizing bookmarks
and other end-user markup is a solvable problem, but the industry has
not yet figured out that the problem exists.

The Stakeholders

Thus far, I have not really addressed the blind student at all.  The
reason for this is that the needs of the blind student are the same
as the sighted student, for the most part.  We in the blindness
community are a little further along in solving some of the
roadblocks mentioned above, but ultimately they exist for us as well
as the sighted world.

The problem will be solved because it is in the best interest of all
of the stakeholders--universities, students, and publishers--to see
it done.  Market forces will demand a solution.  That is, unless of
course universities and publishers seek government intervention to
artificially subsidize the status quo.  That, however, is another
discussion.

Consider each stakeholder's reason for moving to digital content:

The university.  The cost of higher education is increasing year
after year.  Frankly, it's reached a breaking point for many
students.  They simply cannot afford the cost of higher education,
and universities know it.  While this too could begin an entire
discussion of its own, a reduction in cost will be necessary.  The
university is determined to see that the reductions impact it as
little as possible, which encourages the universities to join
students in pressuring publishers for lower textbook costs.  This is
already happening.

The publisher.  A digital textbook does not replace a printed book
for many people, so publishers have little to fear that their core
business model will fail any time soon.  To them, digital content
may be viewed as analogous to the pulp paperback.  It isn't, though.
You don't often see textbooks in that format, even though the average
undergraduate views their textbook in much that way.  Still, digital
books put an end to used book sales, which is reason enough to do it.
That it also gives professors more flexibility and better serves the
needs of the student customer is a convenient benefit as well.

The student.  As already mentioned, the student needs the reduced
costs, but there are other benefits as well.  If the roadblocks above
are resolved, they will have powerful study tools available.  Working
digitally saves time, as well.  You can copy a quote directly to your
clipboard (or a citation for the same selection in your preferred
citation format), digitally search the text, follow hyperlinks, and
more, instantly.  It also saves resources and the students' backs.

Each group of stakeholders has much to gain from a transition to
digital books, so it will happen at some point.  The sooner it
happens, the better for all.

Reading Technology

There is one more stakeholder to consider in a transition to
electronic textbooks.  These books need to be read somehow using
either software or hardware book readers.  Presently, these vary
widely.  Content often is not interchangeable, and user-created
content never is.  Books are copied from host computers to any other
device desired or accessed directly on the target device.

Reader software is available, but somewhat primitive (except the
software used by the blind, I'll note, which is usually quite
exceptional because we use it so extensively.)  Hardware readers are
less primitive, but have been expensive.  Fortunately, on all counts
the market is beginning to catch up.

There is just one problem:  Standards.  The industry needs to settle
on a format and migrate to it.  It needs to develop standards for
user-created content and standardize the access protocols for online
book distribution.  If I coin the term "bookdav protocol", perhaps
the more technical reader will understand my meaning.  For the rest
of us, it's enough to say that my book reader of choice needs to work
with any publisher or distributor.

These standards should extend to user-defined content such for books.
Annotations, highlights, bookmarks, etc.  Not every reader device
will be able to create these, but most should support viewing.  And
since we're already discussing content being device agnostic, the
transmission such data should be bi-directional for any device able
to create or alter such content.

Summary

The transition away from the printed book to the electronic will
assist the blind student.  It will happen in time, but it will not be
easy.  The technology is almost where it needs to be, but still must
catch up a bit.  Perhaps the most important area where this is still
needed is in standardization and distribution of content, since these
factors affect publishers' ability to move boldly in the direction of
market forces.  That said, the technical hurdles can and will be
solved within the next couple of years.  The real question is whether
publishers will adopt practices that encourage consumers to pay for a
digital download rather than a printed book.

--
How many children in America are not taught how to read?
If they are blind, the answer is 90%--more than 52,000 children!