[nabs-l] introduction, and a few questions

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 07:22:29 UTC 2009

Hi kerri,
  Welcome to the list.
  My name  is Darian Smith, I am a  board member  with the national
association of blind students and a student at city college of san
francisco.
    Please don't feel like any question you ask here is a "dumb
question", as  we are all students and  learning  about school,
blindness and life.
  i would have to agree with what everyone's been saying in regards to
accomidations.  I've had instructors that have either  E-mailed  me
the  handouts, or I've gotten the handouts to scan myself.  I use a
braille note to  take notesin class and that works just fine for me
and I also have a  digital recorder that I baught from radio shack and
it has worked rather well in some situations for getting the lecture
down for me to refer back to  it and note take.
  I know I am probably not going to be able to answer all of your
questions, but I hope i've answered some.  Just  know that  there is
always a way to tackle  a situation; some ways people suggeston how to
go about things may work for you, others may not and that's all fine.
 Just know that you have  options and tools, and now a whole group of
successful blind students just like yourself who are here and happy to
be of assistance, as you yourself will be to other students.
  Again, welcome and thank you  so much for your questions!
 Please don't be a  stranger and post as frequent as you like!
 Best,
  Darian

--
The National Federation of the Blind has launched a nationwide teacher
recruitment campaign to help attract energetic and passionate

"And if you will join me in this improbable quest, if you feel destiny
calling, and see as I see, a future of endless possibility stretching
before us;
if you sense, as I sense, that the time is now to shake off our
slumber, and slough off our fear, and make good on the debt we owe
past and future generations,
then I'm ready to take up the cause, and march with you, and work with
you. Together, starting today, let us finish the work that needs to be
done, and
usher in a new birth of freedom on this Earth."- Baraq Obama