[nabs-l] introduction, and a few questions

Ben Peters myangelblessings at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 06:11:06 UTC 2009

Hi Keri, welcome to the list. I'm Ben, and I just graduated with my associates and am now going to be working on my BA in psychology.

It is very reasonable and appropriate to ask professors for handouts to be emailed. I do this all the time, and try to have them emailed before class so I'm on the same page. I had one professor willing to email everything including exams at one time, but he was the only one that went to that extreme.

I take notes on a braille note. I don't get everything, but I try to make up for this by doing a few things. 1. I record the lecture. 2. I take notes when reading the book jotting down definitions etc that are important. 3. I team up with a friend or someone I know in the class so I can always ask them questions (or vise vera) about stuff I didn't get written down. 4. I ask the professor about specific definitions or whatever. 5. I will google it. I don't do all this at once, I use what I think is useful at the time.

In regards to the powerpoint slides, talk to your professor and explain the situation. Ask him or her to provide them in blackboard or to you privately in a different format like PDF or word. Generally I've found these formats to work better than powerpoints. Just make the case for it. I had a professor last semester go out of his way (thankfully for me) to provide me word files of all the matterial posted to blackboard while the other students got the regular format. If the professor won't assist, consider talking to your disability services office and see what they suggest. They might be able to reformat them for you. But you should have the same access to the powerpoints as everyone else.

I'm sorry, but I can't help with your biology question.

Ben

myangelblessings at hotmail.com

Join me