[nabs-l] Dating and relationships

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Sun Dec 13 08:03:02 UTC 2009

Melissa,

You ask a good question, and make a good point.

To go out on a date, and to be in a relationship are two distinct things,
but the line is blurred when you consider that, for the most part, people go
out on dates to get to know the other person better. This is, I think,
typically to get to know the other person better in a romantic sense.

If I go out to dinner with a female friend during convention, are we on a
date? Not necessarily.

Still, going on dates is clearly not yet being in a relationship, but when
two people are in a relationship they are said to be dating, or going
steady, or going out.

But if I just go out to dinner with a friend, we are not dating.

English is a funny thing.

Antonio Guimaraes

If an infinite number of rednecks riding in an infinite number of pickup
trucks fire an infinite number of shotgun rounds at an infinite number of
highway signs, they will eventually produce all the world's great literary
works in Braille.

Shop online and support the NFB of RI at no additional cost to you.
http://www.givebackamerica.com/charity.php?b=169
Givebackamerica.org, America's Online Charity Shopping Mall