[nabs-l] Problems with ETS

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 02:04:34 UTC 2009

Hi Priscilla and all,

I'm a little confused. If the course is offered by Kaplan and not by
ETS, then you should be allowed to take the Kaplan course no matter
what ETS says. Is ETS providing accommodations for your Kaplan course
as well?

Usually ETS says you need to request accommodations six to eight weeks
before your test date in order to be guaranteed accommodations;
however, I think this is just a formality. ETS may very well be able
to approve your request less than eight weeks after you mail in the
paperwork.

In my own case, I spoke with Nora Hallenbeck about my accommodations
and was approved and allowed to pay and register for the test within a
week or two of mailing in my paperwork. I was not scheduled for a test
date right away, but I was able to schedule it during the month when I
wanted to take the test.

Also, depending on what kind of test you use and the type of
accommodations you ask for, you may be able to work out your own test
date, and not necessarily take it on the day when everyone else is
testing. This is especially true if you use a reader or scribe, which
you will need to do if not taking the self-voicing computer test or
writing in print.

So I'd advise you to mail your forms in, give Nora Hallenbeck or Ruth
Loew a call by calling the main ETS number and asking for one of them,
and ask to confirm that they've received your materials. Then go ahead
and take the Kaplan prep course and call ETS again if you don't get
approval within a couple of weeks. Unless I missed something, it
doesn't sound like ETS has messed anything up yet, so I don't see a
need to contact Peggy Elliott unless they keep you waiting for longer
than the 6-8 weeks they promise. Remember, that's just a maximum wait
time.

Best of luck and let us know what happens.

Arielle

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org