[nabs-l] accessible phones with verizon -- or should we switch to AT&T?

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sun Dec 27 04:13:36 UTC 2009

I would agree.  You can try Mobile Speak for thirty days, but TALKS should be disabled first.  I have heard it said that
TALKS is more stable than Mobile Speak under the Simbian operating system, but it seems that Mobile Speak has
more experience under Windows Mobile so it is worth a try.  I am using it on a Sprint HTC SNAP, and while my
experience is not without frustration, it isn't bad.  In general, there is a lot to learn about these phones, though, and many
of my frustrations came from things I was doing wrong.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 20:44:35 -0800, Maurice Mines wrote:

>hi if your boyfrend changes to moblespeak it will work just grate. maurice ham call kd0iko.
>On Dec 25, 2009, at 6:22 PM, Mandi Marks wrote:

>> Last week my boyfriend upgraded his phone at Verizon Wireless to the HTC Ozone with Talks, and it has turned out
to be an utter disappointment. Though the HTC Ozone appears to be a good phone in itself, it seems completely
incapable of handling the Talks program. The phone crashes almost daily and frequently freezes up if you tap the keys
too quickly. Verizon also requires him to pay an
>> extra $30 a month for the data package (since it's a smart phone), and the program isn't capable
>> of running anything that the data package is needed for. The software uses so much of the phone's processor that
the
>> internet times out before it can even get a web page loaded. We have yet to be able to try out the internet or any of
the apps on this phone because we simply can't get them to work with TALKS running.

>> He is about ready to give up on it to say the least, but we are having a hard time finding another phone with Verizon
that will give him the accessibility he wants. Really all he wants to do is to be able to know who's calling, manage his
contacts, customize the sounds and ringtones, and text. I have an EnV which will do all those things and read text
messages but won't read who they're from. He is somewhat considering switching to AT&T and getting the iPhone but
that is a last  resort. So I'm really just looking for input from other blind cell phone users who have Verizon. Or even if you
own an iPhone I'd love to hear what you think of it. Also, I heard that in 2010 Verizon will be releasing an Android
software upgrade for their Droid phones which could provide free text-to-speech software, but I'm not able to find much
information about it on the internet. Does anyone know anything about this?