[nabs-l] Readers and Testing

sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 2 20:05:03 UTC 2009

Hi,
I would recommend writing to the professor. They are human; even if
it's a big university they should have some concern. Also refusal to
write the test would be ideal, as long as you have made some effort to
find back-ups. For instance, would it be possible to get someone you
live with or a friend to read for you? If you've shown that
initiative, it shows that you're really serious about learning the
material and so the prof would find it harder to refuse assistance.
Writing the test anyway wouldn't be great unless you truly think
you're ready. Don't do this until you've written to the prof. If you
can find their office telephone number that would be best; they would
find it harder to say no over the phone, and you would have more
opportunity to argue your case. If you can visit them in person that
would be the absolute best though.
Good luck.
Sarah