[nabs-l] ichapters

Valerie Gibson valandkayla at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 11:40:33 UTC 2009

Okay, i don't know how many of you been following this post about
ichapters, but after seven hours of fittleing around and barowing a
few eyes, here are my results.
IChapters is 99.9 percent accessible as far as the site content goes.
the only tricky part is once you've created an account, installed the
viewer software (which is accessible), logged in, ordered your books,
and gone to your "My stuff" page, clicking on the open book link is
tricky because jaws displays it as a "page link" if you know what i
mean.  A sighted person, of course could use the mouse and click the
link, and what's supposed to happen is it asks you if you want to save
 or open it.  I save it, and it saves as a zip file.  I just need to
figure out more about jaws working with mouse related things.  All the
sighted person said was, "I dunno, i just clicked it, and the dialog
box appeared."

however, i digress.   once it's saved, if you go into the zipped
folder and click on the file, it will open up in adobe, but you'll
have to enter your username/password again, of course.
A problem i encountered was that i had adobe reader 8 and 9 installed,
and after looking on the adobe website, that's a big "NO!" because
apparently having two adobes conflict with programs, and the uncealer
won't work. so if anyone's planning to use this site and it's
features, learn from my mistake if you didn't already know that.
As i've said before, you can download chapter by chapter for about $2,
and the entire textbook for $70 or so.  you can also download the
audio copy as well, but i'm not too familiar with that, and i'm also
not too familiar with what publishers use this website.  For me, it
was my last resort to get a digital book that bookshare didn't have
and in a quick fashion.
If anyone has any questions about it, please let me know, and i'll try
to help out as much as i can.
the site again is:
http://www.ichapters.com
thanks.