[nabs-l] OT first aid

Dezman Jackson jackson.dezman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 23:02:57 UTC 2009

Ashley,
I've been certified in First aid and CPR a few times. The classes are very
hands on and I've always had instructors who were willing to put things in
more descriptive terms for my benefit.
What I remember about first aid is having to pretend to rap wounds and make
slings and such for broken bones. This was pretty straight forward and of
course you're always pretty much working with a partner and you practice on
each other. With CPR it's a combination of using humans and test dummies and
the instructor just comes around to make sure that everyone knows how to do
the techniques and then you're marked off as having mastered that task. The
written test are multiple choice and usually the instructor or another
student would read it to me. They're are usually pretty good (at least at
the red cross) with accommodations. There is a manual that goes with the
class and if possible, I would recommend getting it ahead of time so that
you can scan it or whatever you would do to get it in an accessible format.
They might even be able to send it to you in electronic form. Hope that
helps.

Dezman