[nabs-l] How you read, Braille or voice

Antonio M. Guimaraes iamantonio at cox.net
Tue Feb 17 03:16:24 UTC 2009

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for your thoughtful, inteligent response. I understand your point
about literacy being about reading and writing, annd not about ability to
think. In our discussion, we should separate what it means to be inteligent
from what it means to be literate. At least I think it might be useful in
your context, even though I somehow think one reflects on the other.

Let me present to you my mother. Mom is highly inteligent, yet not very
educated. She is insucure about her english, and does not cultivate the
habbit of reading. She has always been preoccupied either about raising a
family, or in current times, keeping a home durring tough economic climate.
She can read and write in portuguese, and somewhat more limmitedly in
English. I would not call her illiterate, because she can read and write.
Yet she gets by without newspapers, and even the internet to some extent.
She does go on her Orcut page, like a Flicker or FaceBook for
south-Americans, so she is confortable with new learning.

If we define literacy as the ability to read and write, mom is both
inteligent and literate. Take it with a grain of salt, she is my mom after
all, so I better follow one of the commandments, and honor mother and
father.

If you get more sofisticated, you may accept the UNESCO deffinition:

"'Literacy' is the ability to identify, understand, interpret, create,
communicate, compute and use printed and written materials associated with
varying contexts. Literacy involves a continuum of learning to enable an
individual to achieve his or her goals, to develop his or her knowledge and
potential, and to participate fully in the wider society."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literacy

this deffinition calls for personal growth, and participation in society.
One should use his or her ability to write as a vehicle for achieving one's
goals, developing one's knowledge and potential, and participating in one's
society. Sounds empowering, and progress-bound. Don't just know how to read,
but use reading to improve your position and standing in your social
circles.

In another way, this definition of literacy goes beyond the basics, even to
suggest that you be able and confortable with statistics, perhaps.

"ability to identify, understand, interpret, create, communicate, compute
and use printed and written materials associated with varying contexts."

Compute, it said. So, I guess I could say I was literate enough to realize
that the National Library Services for the Blind was publishing way too many
books on magic tricks. More than I care to read, or even care to know so
much of their resources would be going to such fruitless publications.

I think compute information could be refering to some level of mathematical
computations as a demonstration of literacy. Fare enough.

This definition, and I like this definition a lot, calls you to

1. identify

Find, procure, locate, get your hand on relevant material for your subject.
Identifying is part of research.

2.  understand,

One must be able to comprehend. This requires a knowledge of the vocabulary,
and command of the language. If you can't handle Shakespeare, or Hawthorn,
then you aught to do some work, start from easier readings before you tackle
such writers.

3. interpret,

This comes after understanding, and undeniably requires some level of
inteligence. Most people have inteligence, and that sets humans apart from
other animals.

To interpret is to make inferences from your reading. It's reading between
the lines, and having knowledge of the author's intent.

Because literacy requires interpreting, and interpreting requires
inteligence, then literacy requires inteligence.

4. Create

It's fine to read and write, but to simply be able to write, and not do it
is not an accurate demonstration of literacy. Also, the Definition does not
call for being able to write well, just well enough  for your social
context. One need not be able to tell a story, unless she or he is a
journalist, or biographer, or the holder of a job where you need to be an
attention-grabbing story-teller.

5. communicate,.

this is the one that I think calls for more excelency. You must be able to
communicate, or convey a message. Did I spell convey correctly? If not, had
you noticed it before? If it is a misspelling, and I had doubts about it,
you think I would consult a dictionary about it if these were an actual
manuscript or professional document? You bet I would! this is no excuse for
filling the list with incomprehenssive blabberings on, which I hope I don't
do too much of.

I think communicating is the first call for one's ability to make a
difference. If you want to be well-respected, and considered as someone who
gets it, and writes effectively, you better be a good communicator. There
are entire college courses and majors on this topic, so I won't pretend I
know the first thing about it.

6. compute and use printed and written materials associated with varying
contexts.

The language about varying contexts calls for broadness of mind. So read all
the NLS books about magic and card tricks, and you will likely not be
fulfilling this requirement. Completely ignore the cart tricks books, and
any other book on fun performance-related subjects, and you could not be
fulfilling this requirement once again. Whatever else this might mean, it
does call for one to read widely.

So whatever literacy means will depend on the definition of another word:
reading.

Antonio Guimaraes
Shop online and support the NFB of RI at no additional cost to you.
http://www.givebackamerica.com/charity.php?b=169
Givebackamerica.org, America's Online Charity Shopping Mall