[nabs-l] student events

sarah baebler wolvessarah at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 04:27:22 UTC 2009

Hi Rachel,
WABS (Wisconsin Association of Blind Students) has a event almost every or every other month.  We do a lot of things such as: shopping trips, sledding, skiing, parades, rock climbing, goalball, camping, student seminars, a big variety of fund raising, team building, we've also done mini travel races, and taken some public transit trips like riding a train and a ferry (not normally available in Wisconsin). I know i am missing a lot but the key we have found to be the most successful is having a fun event with a student/employment focus.  We also do a lot of employment and life activities to help those who aren't in school but want to participate.  For example, We've had state conventions where we have added a WABS event like goalball on Sunday afternoons or such as a camping event  where we have done talent shows, and 3 employment/students session (canes vs dogs, job interview skills, and advocating), and tried to attend a water/theme park (that's when WI had the flood so that didn't work out).  Those are just some ideas we have done if they're helpful.
Good luck,
Sarah Baebler
WABS Vice President
WAGDU Vice President