[nabs-l] student events

Rachel Becker Rachel at BeckerConsultants.com
Fri Jan 9 13:53:01 UTC 2009

Wow! That's great. You guys do a lot of stuff and it sounds like you have a
lot of fun. What kinds of fundraisers do you do? Where do you play goalball?
It is alot of fun but can be hard to organize.
Thanks.
Rachel

-----Original Message-----
From: nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nabs-l-bounces at nfbnet.org]On
Behalf Of sarah baebler
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 11:27 PM
To: nabs-l at nfbnet.org
Subject: Re: [nabs-l] student events

Hi Rachel,
WABS (Wisconsin Association of Blind Students) has a event almost every or
every other month.  We do a lot of things such as: shopping trips, sledding,
skiing, parades, rock climbing, goalball, camping, student seminars, a big
variety of fund raising, team building, we've also done mini travel races,
and taken some public transit trips like riding a train and a ferry (not
normally available in Wisconsin). I know i am missing a lot but the key we
have found to be the most successful is having a fun event with a
student/employment focus.  We also do a lot of employment and life
activities to help those who aren't in school but want to participate.  For
example, We've had state conventions where we have added a WABS event like
goalball on Sunday afternoons or such as a camping event  where we have done
talent shows, and 3 employment/students session (canes vs dogs, job
interview skills, and advocating), and tried to attend a water/theme park
(that's when WI had the flood so tha!
 t didn't work out).  Those are just some ideas we have done if they're
helpful.
Good luck,
Sarah Baebler
WABS Vice President
WAGDU Vice President

> From: Rachel at BeckerConsultants.com
> To: nabs-l at nfbnet.org
> Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 14:14:03 -0500
> Subject: [nabs-l] student events
>
> Hi everyone. I hope you had a wonderful holiday and that you all have a
> happy new year. I am the vice-president of the Maryland Association of
Blind
> Students and I am trying to get some events going for 2009 but we haven't
> had any events in awhile. Now that finals and Christmas are over, I am
going
> to talk to the president about what we should do but I was wondering if
you
> guys had any cool ideas. What have your student divisions been doing
lately?
> Rachel

http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/wolvessarah%40hotmai
l.com