[nabs-l] student events

sarah baebler wolvessarah at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 9 17:59:29 UTC 2009

Well Wisconsin has only have a
few organizations/camps/events for blind so I know a lot and my blind students, and they
know a lot more.  So we got a huge list together and invited them to convention and had them list a fun
activity and a work/student issue that they wanted to do/learn.  So with
that list we try to work out both the fun and serious topics.  Our board
before has always decided on topics and figured what we've had problems with
and then make session out of them.  In the past year we've have phone board meetings that have had 20 people come and get involved with deciding and being on committees.  If your just starting out you should
have an event like rock climbing or goalball and do something with a work
related topic like how to interview and technology.   Then you can start
small and have a fun and serious activity. This will one get a lot of people
involved around the state because it will be something fun and not just sitting
around the chance are honestly that you will have a greater attendance.  Then you can also get a lot of contacts through that where you
can send and get involved with further activities.   If you should do a flier,  where you list the who, what, where,
when, how and yes even a why.  Then send that to all your contacts, email
list, camps, state programs that work with the blind, schools, and so on and so
forth anything you can think of.  Even though you may not know all the
blind people in your state these people will know or be able to forward it on.  We also made brochures and sent them to colleges and high school as well as those state programs.  The brochure just states about all the things we do and shows pictures of events, and explains our goals.  If you want I can send you a version and I am willing to assit you if you choose to make one.  We used publisher and just bought thick paper and ink which is much cheaper than ordering or goign somewhere and having them make it.  Another thing that we have done is involve non-students, people looking for employment, or just in transition or in training programs.  We have found that even though these are not students they still benefit from learning about programs, services, advocating, and many more.  We've helped some be more independant and obtain jobs as well as a couple that decided to choose to attend college.  Also with a independent
issue we have noticed that if you intend to invited minors (18 or under) then
you should have them be accompanied by a guardian or adult.  I've attached
3 events that we've done, I hope it's helpful.  They might not be ideal for your neck of the woods but it's what works for us.

If you have any more questions let me know

Sarah

WABS vice president

WAGDU vice president

Get in Touch with Your Inner Primate!

            On
Saturday, March 29, the Wisconsin Association of Blind Students (WABS) will be
holding a Rock Climbing event in Madison Wisconsin.  We are looking for ages from high school and
up to scale the walls with us and reach for the horizon.

            We will all
get together on Saturday afternoon to head over from the hotel to Boulders
climbing gym on Madison’s East side.
Rock climbing will last for three hours, in which time; there will be a
chance to work one on one with the staff.
We are very excited, and we look forward to getting a chance to get to
know you!

            Prior to
heading to the gym, we are going to do a series of formal and informal
activities and the like to get to know one another.  We’ll be ordering pizza, and we can’t eat it
all ourselves, so you really should join us!

            As WABS is
helping with the cost of this event, hotel, rock climbing and meals will cost a
total of $45; a very pretty price for such fun.
We have booked rooms at the Holiday Inn on the East side of Madison which has a pool
so bring along your swimsuit. We’ll head home Sunday morning, after a night of
swimming, eating left-over pizza and making new friends.  For your convenience, we are looking to hire
a driver and would encourage you to use our transportation if it at all works
in your schedule and makes it possible for you to come and share this event
with us. There will be a nurse on staff as well as night monitors at the hotel
to ensure your safety and comfort!

            WABS is a
division of the National Federation of the Blind of Wisconsin.  We encourage students to push their limits,
believe in themselves and stop blindness from being a barrier.  We pride ourselves in not only being a
successful division of the NFBW, but also being a great supportive group of
students who form lasting friendships in and out of our division.

If you are interested in participating, and you are under
18, please have a parent or guardian fill out the enclosed release form and
mail it to:

Sarah Baebler

408 Portage St

Lodi WI, 53555

For more information about this event, call or email our
President, Beth Allred at: (608(217-6895. allred at wisc.edu

For more information about our division, please see the
enclosed flyer.

I hope to see you in Madison!

Sincerely,

Meghan Whalen

Vice President, Wisconsin
Association of Blind Students

ROCK CLIMBING INFORMATION FORM

General information:

Name_______________________________

Address:_______________________________________

City, State, Zip
code:___________________________________

Phone:_(           )___________________

Email:____________________________________

Age:_________________

Preference of contact (phone, email, snail mail):_____________________________

Emergency and medical Information:

Emergency contact:________________________

Emergency contact phone number:(
)_______________________

Allergic to any medicine:___________________________________________

Allergies:_____________________________________________

Medications taking at the moment (include dose and how frequent):
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Physical conditions (other than blindness:____________________________________________

Physical
limitations:______________________________________________________________

Diet
restrictions:________________________________________________________________

Miscellaneous:

Your experience in rock climbing (beginner, intermediate, advanced):
_____________________

Any roommate preferences:________________________________________

The Wisconsin Association of Blind Students is offering a transportation
vehicle  to provide transportation for
you, to and from the event.

Are you interested in the provided transportation?    Yes:_________      No:__________

Please return by ___Friday,
March 21st _  to

Sarah Baebler

408 Portage St.

Lodi, WI 53555

Or send an email to
Beth Allred at allred at wisc.edu

If you have any
questions, please contact our president Beth Allred at (608) 217-6895

Wisconsin Association
of Blind Students

Rock Climbing Event

March 29, 2008

Parent Consent Form

            Please fill
out this sheet and send it to the address provided on the flier included.

Student’s name:_________________________________    Student’s age:___________

Parent/Guardian’s name:_________________________________________

Parent/Guardian’s phone number:
__________________________________

Address: ______________________________________________________________

Emergency Contact
name:_________________________________________________

Emergency Contact
phone:________________________________________________

Student’s insurance provider and
number:_____________________________________

Does the student have permission to
administer their own medications: Yes:___No:____

List current
medications, including
doses and how frequently given: ________________
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Describe allergies and diet
restrictions: _______________________________________

Describe restrictions on physical
activities: _____________________________________

Describe other disabilities or
physical illness: ___________________________________

I give my permission for my son/daughter, ___________ __________________to
participate in the Rock Climbing event sponsored by the Wisconsin Association
of Blind Students on the weekend of March 29, 2008.

Initials of parent, ________________

In the event of an emergency, I give my permission for
emergency medical

treatment and transportation.

Initials of parent, _____________

I agree to hold harmless the Wisconsin Association of Blind
Students (WABS) for any and all negligent injuries that my son/daughter may
incur during the aforementioned WABS event.

Initials of parent, _____________

I agree to the transportation of my son/daughter
____________________________ , by the Wisconsin Association of Blind Students.

Initials of parent,______________

I agree to all the above terms and conditions.

_________________________________________________                 ____________________

Signature of Parent/Guardian
Date

Please send
this along with the other information form to

Sarah Baebler

408 Portage St.

Lodi, WI
 53555

The Wisconsin Association of Blind
Students

            Have you
ever struggled to advocate for yourself when applying for a job or requesting
accommodations in school?  Do you wish
you had someone to help you find your way sometimes?  Do you feel like you have to reinvent the
wheel each time you fight for one of your rights as a person who is blind?  You aren’t alone.  There are many other blind students in Wisconsin who have
fought the same battles you are fighting now.
You don’t need to reinvent the wheel.
Let us spin ours for you.  The
Wisconsin Association of Blind Students (WABS) is a division of The National
Federation of the Blind of Wisconsin (NFB).
We all fight for what the National Federation of the Blind (NFB)
believes in.  Blindness is not a crutch,
it is a physical nuisance, and we are fully capable of anything we wish to
achieve.  By joining WABS, you are making
a statement.  You are saying that you
believe that blindness does not lessen your value as a member of society.  You are showing that you are willing to
support other persons who are blind in finding their way to independence and
self advocacy.  If you run into
discrimination, you will have countless friends to back you up in fighting for
your rights as well. You don’t have to be a member to participate in any of our
activities, and we very much hope that you participate whether you are a member
or not!

            We are not
just an organization for blindness rights.
WE are friends.  We do what
friends do.  IN the past, we have gone
camping, attended NFB national convention and roomed together and run a student
seminar.  Lifetime friends can be found
within WABS.  If you join WABS, you will
be inspired to rise to your full potential and you will find strength in the
support of your fellow members.

            Currently,
we are in the process of planning a rock climbing event.  Again, you do not need to be a member of WABS
to participate in the Rock Climbing Event. Come, have fun with us! We will be
staying at a hotel in Madison
and will go climbing at Boulders Climbing Gym.
For more information, contact our president, Beth Allred, Allred at wisc.edu.

For more information about WABS, or for contact information
for the rest of our officers, our website is:

www.nfbwis.org/students

We look forward to hearing from you and would love to
welcome you into the ever-growing Federation family.

Wisconsin
Association of Blind Students

Presents

A weekend of fun in the sun

Who: Students and young adults
(18-35), who have low vision or are blind (legally blind).  Students 18 and under are welcome on the
Saturday events, with parental supervision.

What: A camping weekend where we
will explore

different activities to promote independence and a variety of skills to assist
individuals in school, work, and society.

When: June 6, 7, and 8th
2008.

Where: Lodi Agricultural Fair
Grounds (TRANSPORTATION OFFERED)

Lodi Agricultural

700 Fair Street.

Lodi, WI 53555

Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park

1881 Wisconsin Dells Parkway

Wisconsin Dells, WI 53965

Why: to inform blind youth about
services available to them, network with other blind youths across the state,
have a good safe fun time, and learn techniques to assist in the daily lives of
blind youth.

Transportation: We will again offer
transportation for those who request it.
We realize that the event is taking place before lion’s camp and will
gladly take people there.

Cost: $50.  This includes all meals, camping fees, ticket
to Water/Theme Park, and all other expenses.
The only other cost to you will be if you choose to purchase ice cream
at one of the events.   If you are
concerned about money please contact Sarah Baebler (contact information listed
below)

Agenda: (subject to change)

Friday June 6, 2008

Morning/afternoon – transportation pick up.

3:30 pm – 4:15 pm – Arrive and register

4:15 pm – 4:30 pm – Briefing/rules of conduct

4:30 pm – 5:00 pm – Set up camp site (you and your tent mates will set up your
own tent)

5:00 pm – 5:30 pm – Eat, clean up, and prepare for transport.

5:30 pm – 6:00 pm– Transport to the Merrimac Ferry (Okee side) park.

6:00 pm – 7:30 pm – Team building activities,

7:30 pm – 8:00 pm – Travel on the ferry across lake Wisconsin to the
Merrimac/Baraboo side (chance to purchase ice cream), then travel back across
to the Okee side.

8:00 pm – 8:30 pm – Transport back to Fairgrounds.

8:30 pm – 9:00 pm – WABS meeting

9:00 pm – 10:30 pm– Talent show

10:30 pm – 11:30 pm – Camp fire/smores party.

Saturday June 7, 2008

7:00 am – 7:30 am – Breakfast.

7:30 am – 10:20 am - small group activities.

Groups include:

TAPS AND FUR - Dog guides and Canes,

STEPPING UP - NFB and WABS vs other organizations (why you should get involved)
and advocating for yourself,

SHAKE YOUR GROOVE THANG – Expressions and gestures, visual clues for a non
visual world.

STOP, PREPARE, AND ROLL - College/work preparation and the interview process.

7:30 am – 8:10 am  - Session one

8:10 am – 8:50 am  - Session two

8:50 am – 9:00 am - break

9:00 am - 9:40 am - Session three

9:40 am – 10:20 am - Session four

10:20 am – 10:30 am – break

10:30 am – 11:30 am – O&M Challenge and preparation

11:30 am – 12:30 pm – Eat

12:30 pm – 1:30 pm – transport to Mt. Olympus Water & Theme Park

1:30 pm – 6:30 pm - Mt. Olympus

6:30 pm – 7:30 pm – Transportation back to fairgrounds

7:30 pm – 8:00 pm – Dinner

8:00 pm – 12:00 pm – Dance (boogy down)

Sunday June 8, 2008

7:30 am – 8:00 am – breakfast

8:00 am – 8:30 am – transport to gym and prepare for goal ball

8:30 am - 11:30 am – Goal ball

11:30 am – 12:30 pm – Lunch and debrief

12:30 – 1:00 – Return to fairgrounds, pack up, clean up, and leave.

Please
fill out the following application and e-mail or mail it to the address
provided.

Application due by May 27, 2008

Sarah Baebler (608) 770-1002 or at wolvessarah at hotmail.com

Sarah Baebler

408 Portage St.

Lodi, WI 53555

Or send an electronic copy to wolvessarah at hotmail.com  Please address the subject line as WABS
camping event.

WABS
Information sheet

:

General
Information:

Name_______________________________

Address:____________________________________

City, Sate, Zip Code__________________________

Home Phone (         )___________________

Cell Phone (
)___________________

Email:____________________________________

Age:_________________

How should we contact you? (phone, email, snail mail):
____________________________

Format of materials (larger print, Braille, tape, etc):
_____________________________

__________

Allergic to any medicine:______________________

Allergies:___________________________________

Medications taking at the moment (include dose and how frequent):
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Physical conditions or limitations that might affect the activities (hearing
impaired,  wheelchair user)

Diet Restrictions:: ___________________________

Miscellaneous:

Do you get
sea sick (we will be riding a ferry across lake Wisconsin)?

Yes __________ No___________

Tent mate preferences? _____________________________________

The Wisconsin Association of Blind Students is offering a transportation
vehicle to provide transportation for you, to and from the event, including
transportation to Lions Camp.

Are you interested in the provided transportation?

Yes:_________        No:__________

If Yes, do you need transportation to Lions Camp on Sunday June 8, 08?

 Yes _________       No___________

WISCONSIN ASSOCIATION OF BLIND
STUDENTS

Annual Convention 2008

Who:  blind students (all ages), young adults, and
those in transition.

What:  The National Federation of the Blind of
Wisconsin's annual convention, WABS business meeting, talent show, dance, goal
ball, Mary Kay party and networking opportunities

When:  Friday November 7th to Sunday
November 9th, 2008.

Where:  Best Western, Inn on the Park, 22 S Carrol
St, Madison Wisconsin 53703

Why:  Break down boundaries and reach for the
stars.

How:  WABS is providing transportation for those
who want it.

Cost:  The cost for the entire weekend is planned
out.  You do not need to eat/attend all
the meals with the exception of banquet and the student lunch. If you need
assistance with cost please contact us (see below).

The hotel will be $75 dollars a night. Your cost will be $38 dollars for both
nights if you decide you want to share a room with others (contact us to
reserve a room and for your roommate preferences).

WABS membership is $5 dollars

NFBW membership is $10 dollars

Friday – Dinner will be up to you.

Saturday – Breakfast is 10 dollars, Lunch is $5 (Student's lunch –Pizza),
dinner is $25 dollars (banquet – Dress up).

Sunday – WABS will provide a
light breakfast option. After convention adjourns we will be heading over to
falk elementary school for goal ball and lunch will be provided for $5 dollars.

TOTAL: $98 for all the above
meals, membership, and lodging.

If
you have any concerns, questions, or to reserve a room and register for
transportation, contact Sarah Baebler (608) 770-1002 or at wolvessarah at hotmail.com