[nabs-l] Blind Guy on American Idol

melissa Green graduate56 at juno.com
Wed Jan 21 07:37:07 UTC 2009

Hi all.
I have been reading this thread.
I think that many times we as blind people who have chosen to be in the Nfb,
question other blind peoples skill level and or how they portray blindness.
I agree that his blindness is being imphasized more for the amazing factor.
I have heard his audition.  He does have a really good voice.  I hope that
he makes it pretty far.  I also like that he was very humbled by the intire
experience.  He also handled the amazing factor pretty well.
After hearing his voice, I know that they didn't just let him in because he
was blind.  Hmm, wonder why many people didn't discuss the dance version of
american idol.  On that show they had a woman audition who was visually
impaired.  They didn't send her to the next round because the judges though
that it would be more patronizing to her to do so.  In other words, they
didn't just send her through because she was visually impaired.  Scott seems
to have made it through because of his tallent.  His blindness has taken a
back seat to this.
just my two-cents.

Melissa R. Green
Every answer asks a more beautiful question. --e e cummings