[nabs-l] Commission for the Blind rejected funding for CCB

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 21:39:38 UTC 2009

I had the Oregon Commission for the Blind tell me that they do not send
people to NFB training centers.  They have their own, you see.

I had an evaluation.  I told them that my goal was mastery learning of the
skills of blindness--skills I did not possess.  I told them that my
timetable for such mastery was one year prior to the beginning of a
graduate school program.

Their own evaluation was that if I did not have the skills, I should learn
them (obvious), and that their own training center could not provide them
in the timespan available to me (important), and that the only place such
mastery was possible in less than a year was at our centers.

Their own evaluation concluded that I must go to an NFB training center,
and so that is where I went.  I got what I went there to get, too.  They
simply refused to hear of it, though, until their own evaluation
demonstrated the necessity.

Joseph