[nabs-l] CCTV's in college classrooms

Jason Mandarino blind.subscriber at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 04:28:04 UTC 2009

Hey Valerie,

For the most part, depending on your rehabilitation services, you should be
able to utilize most of the services you had in college. The main learning
curve you will need to be attentive to be making sure that the disability
director of your college addresses the allowance for assistive technology.
Some professors do not allow laptops or other electronic devices in the
class room, but by law we are given allowances.

Now you may need to be flexible in regards to testing and quizzes. I have
had some professors that require me to take my tests on a dedicated computer
in disability services. Others were fine with me doing quizzes by email, and
when I am finished I emailed them my answers. Especially with oral quizzes,
for the email will indicate the time that the email was sent.

Over all I hope that you will have an amazing college experience. I found my
high school experience to be annoying as I had jumped on a technology wagon
that most teachers had not. Since entering college four years ago, I have
found my laptop to be an almost seamless means of accessing worksheets, hand
outs, board notes, and more. Typically my only issue is procrastination, and
I figure that is simply in line with my sighted peers.

Mandarino,