[nabs-l] CCTV's in college classrooms

Jamie Principato blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 01:54:10 UTC 2009

Well I have a laptop that was provided to me by the Florida Division of
Blind Services. I take it to class with me and use ZoomText and JAWS on it
frequently. (wearing headphones when using JAWS of course). I also
occasionally use a hand-held video magnifier called a QuickLook. It's about
the size of a stack of index cards, reasonably light, and good in a pinch if
I need to read something that wasn't scanned and e-mailed to me. I think the
computer is the best way to go in college because it's reasonably (usually)
easy to get materials scanned and sent to you via the internet. At least, it
seems easier than getting things blown up or brailled. As for CCTV's... if
you mean those big bulky ones that stand on their own desk, it might be
easier just to learn Braille or improve your computer skills.