[nabs-l] Recording Lectures... Not allowed?

Sarah J. Blake sarah at growingstrong.org
Sat Jan 24 02:35:40 UTC 2009

Many students with good note-taking skills use a recorder as a supplementary
method. There are many reasons why this can be helpful. Being able to go
back through a recording can enable me to write down material that was read
from a handout or PowerPoint very quickly during class.Other students would
have the time to write this information down while other discussion is going
on or to take notes in the margins. Having a copy of the handout is helpful;
but this does not allow for putting together how the handout and the other
information might be related. Depending on a professor's lecture style, this
kind of information can be extremely valuable.

A recorder has also been invaluable to me in the event that my technology
broke down or battery died in the middle of class. It has not happened often
but has happened a time or two. I am a good slate user; but there are
certain advantages in using a laptop for note-taking.

Occasionally I have run into a professor who was lecturing using material
that was intended for publication.Once in a while such a professor will ask
not to be recorded. Sometimes professors have asked me to sign a form saying
that I will not distribute the recordings. I am perfectly happy to do this.

I'm protected by SpamBrave
http://www.spambrave.com/