[nabs-l] netbook replacing notetakers

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 23:23:02 UTC 2009

David, I think in this age of netbooks being so cheap, the days of
the Windows CE based notetaker are numbered, even if the notetaker
lives on.  I say that because the notetaker is a hideously expensive
custom device from the ground up, and the netbook is a cheap
commodity device with higher power.

The cost of adapting a netbook to Braille display and keyboard is
cheaper than the cost of building a notetaker.  Plus, notetakers do
not really "boot" so much as they "wake up" from a power-saving mode.
When you have to reboot them, they do take about as long as starting
Windows XP off a solid state disk--primarily because they're doing
something very similar with a Windows CE platform on a slower system
with fewer resources.

I fear though that the rise of the notetaker gave us easy access to
Braille.  That's likely to go away if netbooks supplant them, even if
the power/usage differences are resolved.

Joseph