[nabs-l] JAWS, Windows 7, and VMWare Fusion

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 19:39:49 UTC 2009

Rob,

If you are using VMWare Fusion, you can use the Mac's own UA
magnifier.  This has saved my bacon time and again dealing with tiny
elements under Windows.

It also looks better than I've ever seen ZoomText look because of the
bicubic interpolation used and the continuous zoom.  No more size X
is too small, size Y is too big.  Zoom in enough to see what you
can't, and that's it.

This won't follow the keyboard cursor automatically--the one major
failing of the UA Magnifier.  To use the UA Magnifier (you doubtless
already know this), press command-option-8 to toggle the function on,
then command-option-equals and command-option-dash to increase and
decrease the size.  You can reverse colors without turning off colors
(something Apple keeps going back and forth on doing it the mousey
way) using control-command-option-8.  Enlarging the Macintosh mouse
cursor (which is not interpolated unfortunately) using the UA
prefpane also enlarges the cursor under Parallels and VMWare Fusion,
by the way.

I still find myself using the keyboard for most things.  I find that
between VoiceOver, UA Magnifier, UA Cursor Zoom, and VMWare Fusion, a
24" iMac is almost the ideal system for me.  Now if only Apple had
seen fit to put eSATA connectors on it.  Ah well.

Joseph