[nabs-l] backpacks are unprofessional?

T. Joseph Carter carter.tjoseph at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 08:57:46 UTC 2009

If you can get a bag with a "floating strap" it will feel lighter and
hurt your shoulder less.  Also, I've been using convergence devices
more and more so that I need carry less.  I also carry a 3lb computer
instead of the traditional 6lb laptop--though these have limitations
(see the thread on nettops--smallish keyboards and screens or high
price tags..)

You should might be able to order just the strap from Waterfield
(sfbags.com), which is what I use.  It's about the only affordable
product they sell, and it's a nice strap for that sort of bag.  You
might have to email Gary and ask him to sell you one.

Otherwise, the style of strap is one that has a shoulder pad that
won't slip easily, and is long and stretchy.  Most fatigue from an
over-the-shoulder bag comes from the shock of motion, and the
stretchy shoulder pad takes most of the force out of that.  It makes
the bag feel lighter and easier to wear.

Just a suggestion.

Joseph