[nabs-l] non-credit meditation class

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 5 22:12:11 UTC 2009

Hi Jessica,

I took meditation twice at my local recreation center.  Each time was a
three month period, about the same length as a semester.
Yes meditation techniques can be visual.  It can have a visual component but
doesn't have to; it depends on the instructor.  Talk to them before class
and find out their teaching style.
Most meditation techniques involve nonvisual mental concentration such as
breathing slowly, thinking or saying a word called a mantra, chanting,
stretching, and generally focus on inner relaxation.
I have some tunnel vision so have seen images and if I had trouble I
substituted another sense.  The visual
component was when we did imagery.  You were  supposed to visualize an image
that the instructor told you.  It was to simulate a mental trip.  Even this
imagery incorporated other senses but it was pretty visual.  You were asked
to imagine walking through woods or forests or taking a tour of someplace
remote and envision a guide.

But as someone else said its primarily nonvisual.  The instructor will
likely play soothing music while you relax.
Practicing meditation should reduce stress.  Since you can't see the
instructor, my advice is to sit in the first row near the instructor.  Ask
him/her to describe any motions they do.  I hope you are comfortable being
hands on.  The instructor may show you moves with your permission; they
usually don't touch participants.  There are a few simple hand moves they
can show you if they are not described adaquately.  After the instructor
demonstrates they can come over and show you if needed.  These motions are
simple if used at all so nothing to worry about.
For instance one involved making hand circles. Another was placing your
hands above your head to do something.  The stretching was usually at the
beginning and involved things like shoulder shruggs, rotating your upper
torso to stretch the spine, butterfly stretch for the inner thighs, flexing
the back and more.
Your instructor may even be generous and show you some things before class.
Meditation varies widely from instructor to instructor.  My instructor did
various things so I imagine a different instructor can even do more.
Once you find out the teaching style and some techniques they do you may
have more questions.

There is a particular position borrowed from yoga you will sit in most of
the class.  Its a crossed leg position like you probably did in kindergarten
called easy pose.  Ask the instructor to show you and describe this.
Typically you sit this way still and only your hands or upper torso move.  I
hope sitting still is relaxing for you because meditation involves sitting
still and quiet.

I hope you enjoy the class.  Just talk to the instructor before hand.  Wear
loose comfortable clothes to class.
Don't wear jewelry since this may be distracting.  Try to come sort of
relaxed already.
Your throat may get dry from all the breathing so you may want to bring a
water bottle.  My instructor recommends drinking water after class.

Everyone has a first class sometime so don't be too nervous.  I bet a
majority of the class will be new and not have done meditation before.

Good luck.
Ashley