[nabs-l] Behavior of Membership

JMassay jmassay1 at cox.net
Sun Jul 12 20:11:35 UTC 2009

Arielle and all,

While others contest and are apparently upset by the election process, I am
appalled and very disappointed by the rude and unruly behavior exhibited by
many of my fellow students during the election and while our speakers were
presenting.  For me, a way to put it in to perspective was to parallel our
election to that of the National board election for the NFB. Anyone who was
at general session during the elections would have been embarrassed should
anyone on the national board or within the membership have acted the way
that our student division did the previous Saturday at convention.
Elections aren't, and never should be popularity contests. I, for one, feel
that a nominating committee is the way to go. Each state student division
could have representation without those states with many in attendance
overwhelming a voice vote. Other nominations could be made from the floor
but I think there need to be guidelines for doing so. While everyone indeed
does have a right to their voice among the membership, divisiveness,
contention and bad feelings are no way for any organization to accomplish
anything. In the end, our accomplishments and the work we do together as an
organization will measure our ability to change what it means to be blind.

Respectfully,

Jeannie