[nabs-l] Behavior...

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 01:19:38 UTC 2009

Dear Joseph and all:

	I have now posted four replies  to this thread, and in each reply I
have apologized on behalf of NABS for any ill will that was created by
the elections. However, for the record, I will  apologize one more
time. It was never my intention to come across as arrogant or as
denying the validity of anyone’s complaints. In fact, if you reread my
posts (as I just did), you will discover that I have repeatedly stated
my commitment to make the elections process run as smoothly and fairly
as possible. I have admitted to specific mistakes we made and proposed
specific suggestions for improvement, such as making sure to allow
adequate discussion of constitutional changes,  properly selecting and
training vote counters, and perhaps incorporating a paper trail into
the voting process. I’ve also offered to set up some focus groups so
the members can give us suggestions on how to improve the election
process. In all of this, I am failing to find any evidence for your
allegations that I “emphatically denied that anything was wrong” or
that the board is unwilling to give these issues “careful
consideration”.

	The NABS board will be meeting by phone on Thursday, and we will
decide what the best method is for soliciting member feedback about
the elections, and will let all of you know immediately what we
decide. Again, we are willing to open all channels of communication so
that respectful, honest dialogue can occur. I’ve also stated that all
of you are free and welcome to engage in conversation about this with
national NFB leaders if you so desire. So in all of this, I’m failing
to see in what way we are “silencing dissent”.

	Joseph, I know you have been in the organization for about as long as
I have. I have talked with you on the NABS list for years and I know
that you are passionate about changing what it means to be blind and
fighting discrimination against blind students. I sincerely hope that
you can direct this energy into solving these problems with us,
instead of making heated and unsubstantiated accusations against the
NABS leadership. If you can find specific evidence from what we’ve
written or said to back up your claims, then I’d be glad to have a
respectful discussion about it, and come to a compromise. Otherwise, I
am going to remove myself from this discussion for now so we can focus
on growing our organization and doing the work that happens between
elections. Once we’ve set up a forum for all NABS members to voice
their opinions about specific solutions, we’ll make that forum widely
available so dialogue can continue in a mature, productive and
respectful way.

Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
Phone:  602-502-2255
Email:
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website: