[nabs-l] Air Canada challenges deaf, blind man's right to travelalone; Burnaby

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Thu Jun 11 02:29:50 UTC 2009

Beth,

what your really dealing with is a psychosocial problem rather than a
physical one. The sighted can't imagine how a blind person can safely
opperate an emergency exit row let alone do much anything else because,
in their world view, sight is a basic requirement for function and
leisure. we know differently. sight is a convenience, not a necessary
prerequisite. when a sighted person meets a blind person, their first
thought usually is, "what would I do if I were in that situation? I'd
be afraid and unable to cope!" Most sighted people don't recognize that
they're suffering from a lack of information regarding blindness until
you point it out to them. When they really understand that they need
educating, most are open and willing to engage in the process. Those
who aren't are experiencing good old-fashioned prejudice that spans as
far back as ancient antiquitiy with the help of the blind prophet and
the blind beggar. Sounds simplistic. Mostly, it's not, but that's the
basic run-down of the thing.

Respectfully Submitted