[nabs-l] mobility questions

V Nork ginisd at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jun 13 13:20:28 UTC 2009

Hi Amy, Congratulations on taking on the adventure of making your way with
your cane travel in an area new to you.  Even after learning basic skills as
a cane traveler, each individual neighborhood, or campus, can be a set of
different challenges to  deal with.  A few years ago, I was forced to leave
an area that I had been in over twenty years as a result of a condo
conversion in my town of San Diego California, for a partof town completely
unfamiliar to me.   The change was to a part of town I had always wanted to
live in, but the area was full of obstacles I had to work through, and it is
still an on going process for me to move ffreely and with confidence.   I am
right now totally without sight, after years of having ups and downs in my
vision.  Intersections are something I am still mastering, and I miss the
days sometimes when  as a partially sighted  person I could see the white
lines of the pedestrian crosswalk.  But of course there are ways of lining
up at  the angle to safely cross the street without vision, even for someone
who tends to veer to the left  and right as I do. Just as an example, ,  in
my case I was moving from a  part of the city where the blocks were laid out
in a neat grid or series of squares, easy to conceptualize, to a street
which is basically a semi circle with cross streets at odd angles.  In my
case, the Department of Rehabilitation sent out an orientation and mobility
instructor not  only to help me get a concept of the area, but I also ended
up strengthening and updating my already pretty good cane skills. In a
perfect world, it would be great if such services were consistently
available when needed by visually inpaired people relocating, but funding
can be unpredictable.  It is usually advised, from the reading I have done,
that if possible someone sighted or a visually impaired person who is
familiar with your area help you travel a proposed route initially, filling
you in on obstacles, possible landmarks, and brainstrorming intersections .
Again, some areas are trickier than others to master.  One thing that I
really enjoyed in my early days here in my new neighborhood of  San Diego
called Normal Heights, was using a talking compass worn around my neck.
The one I used costs about seventy five dollars.  It is a great and I find,
fun, tool for getting the big picture of a new place.  A volunteer from the
San Diego center for the Blind also gave me her input about my new
surroundings, and while she was not a pro, her thoughts were helpful as she
described peculiarities of some streets and intersections.  Again, some
areas of the city would have presented me with few problems, and I could
have probably planned routes  mostly by myself with no fuss  or muss, but it
can be a time saver also to have help Also, it is great, once a route is
planned, to take notes in braille or a computer file so details, of say,
turning right at the rose bush,  can be retained easily.  I have never tried
tactile maps, but I am going to look into it.  Some of the new mobility
tools, with GPS aspects, are probably great too.  Anyway, these are my
thoughts, and I hope they relate to your situation, Happy Travels, Ginnie