[nabs-l] prejudice vs ignorance

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Wed Jun 17 02:17:03 UTC 2009

Jim,

First of all, congratulations on your explanation of prejudice versus
ignorance and how they're related. Your message was eloquent and well-thought.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my role as an educator to the
sighted community. I've also been thinking a lot about my role as an
ambassador and how those relate together.

Jim, I think you're right. the internet allows anyone to be educated on
just about anything. The NFB is usually in the top ten Google results
for just about any topic related to blindness these days, so our
message is spreading. Tons of NFB members have their own personal web
sites espousing our philosophy, and the NFB itself has reached further
into the ether than it's ever done before. So Jim is right: anyone who
is ignorant about blindness is doing so willingly. With the speed of
technology, there isn't really a community in the United states, or
even the world, that doesn't know something about blindness even if it
has no blind citizens. But truthfully, i'm not convinced that there
aren't any communities out there who haven't been touched by vision
loss of some kind.

That said, Jim made the observation that it's a blind person's job to
educate. Lots of people in the NFB feel its our job to be something
like an ambassador for the blindness community. To some extent, I
believe that's true. We have to set a good example when it counts, and
we can't cry equal rights without taking equal responsibility. At the
same time, how many of you (myself included) wished that you could just
be human beings and hell with educating? I think that sometimes, we
forget that we are human beings and that it's okay to say no to the
sighted person who wants to be educated right this minute. for example,
have you ever been studying at the student union building when someone
notices you reading Braille? You really want to study, but this sighted
person is just so curious! Given that said individual doesn't know you
from Adam or Eve, given that the individual doesn't have anything you
need or want, given that the individual doesn't have any authority over
you, and given that you really want to study, and given that it's not
your job to be a human FAQ page, you do have a right to say no to
answering the question. Sure the sighted person may be disappointed and
may even be put off that you said no and may think every blind person
is rude. But you know, that's their problem. If you've said something
like "You know, I'm sorry but this isn't a good time for me," then you
haven't been rude at all. same goes with any other inquiry that a
sighted person may make, any help they may offer, etc. If a sighted
person really seriously must know, there is, as Jim observed, the
internet upon which a person can Google "Braille" and get more
information than they could possibly go through in a lifetime.

here's another one that I've been working on. I personally don't feel
comfortable sharing my medical history when it comes to my blindness
with total strangers. People with other conditions aren't expected to,
so why should I be unless I choose to be? Really, it has nothing to do
with me. Again, it's all about the sighted person who wants to tell me
about their amazing blind aunt who can fold her laundry even though she
can only see shadows. It's all about the sighted person who wants to
use this information to figure out how to communicate with me, how to
help me, what they can and can't say to me, etc. Naturally, sight
doesn't really help a person figure all that out. And what about those
who are just curious? Again, we do have the right to say no and do it
politely yet confidently. Again, if they get upset because I didn't
entertain their curiosity, that's okay. I can simply say, "I'm sorry,
but I don't believe I know you and I don't feel it's appropriate for me
to share this information with you at this moment." Now, if you want to
answer, go ahead. But for those of us who don't, that should be okay,
too regardless of what the sighted or blind think about it.

Surely, some of you may be asking, "How would you handle someone you
know but you still don't feel it's helpful or appropriate to answer a
question?" then don't. When I'm at a job interview, I don't think I
have to educate my employer about what I can and can't see. They just
need to know that I can do the job efficiently and safely. So, when I
get the "How much can you see?" question, I simply say "I find that
sight doesn't matter much since I use X and Y blindness techniques to
get Z done." That usually suffices for most people. If they keep
pushing, I might use the appropriacy line because, technically, it is
inappropriate based on the fact that we don't know each other and ADA
law. And, if they're so hell bent on this idea that sight is required
for the job, I'm probably not going to get hired even if I'm a high
partial since my vision loss would still be pretty substantial in most cases.

These are just my musings on blindness, ignorance, and education.

Respectfully,
Jedi