[nabs-l] prejudice vs ignorance

sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca sarah.jevnikar at utoronto.ca
Wed Jun 17 03:21:10 UTC 2009

Jim,
You raise some interesting points. I'll state here that I for one am
not "pissed at you", as you have articulated your points clearly and
passively.
I too think that prejudice stems from ignorance, but that an ignorant
person is not neceesarily prejudiced. Moving to a new city for school
meant meeting a qhole new group of people, and as Jim has mentioned, I
was that first blind person that any one of them had met. Naturally,
everyone responded differently; some ignored me as they would others
they didn't know, some talked to me but wouldn't invite me places, and
some true friends enjoyed spending time with me on many occasions.
They were all ignorant at first, but they either chose to increase
their knowledge or not to. I think this was directly related to their
willingness to learn new things and meet different people, and not a
specific prejudice against me as a blind person.
I think there's more but I can't put it into words at the moment.
TTYS,
Sarah