[nabs-l] White cane law question

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 23:27:29 UTC 2009

Hey all,

Yesterday my O/M instructor gave me some conflicting advice that is implicitly linked to the white cane law. On one hand, she told me that while I am stopped  at an intersection and waiting to cross, that I should have the tip of my cane near my toes, and that I should extend the top part of my cane outwards towards the street so that drivers can clearly see the cane (without being able to run it over) and then they will know a blind guy is trying to cross the street. Techniclly, based on the white cane law, drivers  are supposed to yield to a blind guy with an extended cane at an intersection. Then, a few miniutes later she told me to never cross the street when a driver has stopped to let me cross. She told me to turn my back on the driver if need be.

So, which is it? Do I stick the cane out forcing drivers to yield,  and then cross when they yield, or do I patiently wait at the intersection? It seems to me that I shouldn't stick my cane out there if I don't have any intention on crossing when I am yielded to.

Thanks,
Jim

"From compromise and things half done,
Keep me with stern and stubborn pride,
And when at last the fight is won,
... Keep me still unsatisfied." --Louis Untermeyer