[nabs-l] White cane law question

Len Burns len at gatamundo.com
Thu Jun 18 00:19:29 UTC 2009

Jim,

First of all, if you have not done so already, I would ask her to
clarify the contradiction.

I have never held my cane in that manner at an intersection, and in
truth, I highly doubt drivers would frequently interpret this stance in
the manner described.  Those laws are well and good, but anybody who
takes them seriously is not living in the real world.

As regards not crossing if somebody stops to wait, I think that is a
judgment call based on a number of factors.  I cross a very busy four
lane road every day in a location where there is a cross walk, but no
signal.  I have no illusions about the involved risks, but have been
crossing this spot for almost 14 years now.  In this location, if you
never crossed when people stop for you, you would never cross at all.
You do always need to keep in mind that sighted people by habit
communicate a great deal with eye contact.  This often includes whether
or not somebody is about to step into an intersection.  One thing one
must be very careful is to give clear signals if one is going forward,
and be ready to pull back if the signals get crossed.

Another thing you have to watch, especially at an intersection such as I
described above ist that although the people in one lane stop, does not
mean the idiots in the next lane will do so as well.  I encounter people
daily who are in such a hurry that they will even go between lanes
around the stopped cards to avoid waiting for a pedestrian.

My philosophy is this.  I presume that I am invisible until I am certain
that I am seen.  This has saved my life a lot of times over about 40
years of swinging a white cane.  I have been hit three times, all
probably avoidable if I had been more proactive, and none of them really
my doing.  I have been fortunate, I have gotten banged up, but never
seriously injured.  From each, I learned a lesson in proactivity that
has saved me a lot of trouble at a later time.

-Len