[nabs-l] should the blind adapt to the world, or should the world adapt to us?

Jedi loneblindjedi at samobile.net
Fri Jun 19 00:25:10 UTC 2009

Marc,

I don't think that the NfB is against universal design. I doubt that
you'll ever hear anyone say that making products and services
user-friendly is a bad thing.

I also think you're right about the audio signals and accessible
currency issues. they are nuanced and complicated. but since you asked,
I'll give you and the rest of the list the down and dirty of it all.

With audio signals, the NFB never exactly opposed them altogether.
Instead, the NFB said that audio signals need to be put where the blind
think they're necessary based on our collective experience, our honest
needs, and with the understanding that many street intersections can be
accomplished by the average blind person given the right opportunity
for good training. The NFB is not in support of audio signals on every
corner for two reasons. first, they would drown out necessary
environmental cues that we can already hear. Second, they're obnoxious
when placed on block after block. If you don't believe me, visit a few
neighborhoods in Seattle where it's been done. Yes, the NFB does
believe that overmodification of the environment both comes from and
reinforces the idea that blind people are severely limited because we
can't see.

As for accessible currency, we never said no to that either. We were
frustrated with the ACB because, for good or ill, the ACB claimed that
non-accessible currency discriminates against the blind. Furthermore,
we've been using currency without accessible markings for a long time.
For most of us, getting a sighted person's help or using a bill
identifier of some kind has been no big deal. If the treasury were
outfitting the bills anyway, then why not include accessibility
features? but because the ACB said that the money should be totally
reoutfitted because the blind are being discriminated against was our
big deal. So now, the government has to redo all the bills, [probably
all the vending machines and the like, and the list goes on.

In general, the NFB favors technology that gives us access but for all
the right reasons. If sighted people are the ones determining what
access looks like, they're likely to make the wrong things accessible
based on lack of education. For example, they'll make sidewalk signals
chirp but may not think about the need for accessible touch screens.
That kind of thing. So really, what it comes down to is that
accessibility discussions need to be intelligent and based on real
need, not stereotypes. If you do that, I doubt you'll get much argument
from the NFB.

there are gray areas like DVS. Again, we never said no to that, either.
We just didn't think it was terribly necessary to force the issue
except where we really need the information. But, if people wanted to
provide it, we'll help them do it.

As for me personally, I feel it's appropriate to ask for help if it's
more efficient than whatever techniques are available to me or if I
just can't do it at all for some reason. Otherwise, I feel it's my
responsibility to adapt to the world as is. What annoys me is when
sighted people presume to know when my techniques are inefficient or
just not able to do the task simply because they can see and are used
to doing things visually.

Respectfully Submitted