[nabs-l] should the blind adapt to the world, or should the world adapt to us?

alena roberts alena.roberts2282 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 02:02:13 UTC 2009

I think that attitude ignores that accessibility benefits more than
the people it is originally intended to. When I cross a street that
has an audible signal I not only pay attention to the sounds from the
signal, but I also listen to my traffic. I had the priveledge of
getting O and M training. Not everyone gets the training they need.
Audible signals also help people who can see, and those who may have
low vision. Fighting against accessibility doesn't help anyone,
especially people with disabilities. I think we need to support
teaching people skills and having things be accessible to us at the
same time.

For those of you that don't think that our money doesn't descriminate
against the blind, I respectfully disagree. Almost all other countries
in the world have money that is easily distinguishable, and we don't.
There are simple modifications that can be made to our bills to make
them distinguishable. The EU even made sure to talk to the blind
community before designing the Euro so that they made sure it would be
usable by all citizens. I shouldn't have to use a machine to tell what
denomination of money I am using because the treasury department
thinks it's too hard to change the money.

Just some thoughts.

--
Alena Roberts
Blog: http://www.blindgal.com/