[nabs-l] Research Paper Help

mworkman at ualberta.ca mworkman at ualberta.ca
Fri Jun 19 02:22:13 UTC 2009

Joe,

I don't think we do agree.  You're saying that the nice thing to do is for
universities to assist students to orient themselves around campus, assuming
that the student doesn't already receive this assistance through some other
program.  So it's nice that schools do this, but it isn't exactly wrong if
they don't.  A school that refused to do this would simply not be acting in
accordance with common courtesy or human kindness.

There is a pretty significant gap between that position and arguing that a
school that fails to provide this reasonable accommodation, where providing
the accommodation would not constitute an undo hardship, is failing to
fulfill its legal/moral obligations.  I include moral there because I don't
care if this is mandated by law.  If it isn't, then it should be.

I think the difference between not acting nicely and failing to meet
obligations is a real difference with serious legal/moral implications.  For
one, you can refuse to act kindly without being forced to pay a penalty.
It's true, you might occasionally be made to pay a penalty through bad
publicity, but you just as easily may not.  Refuse to obey the law, on the
other hand, and you are always subject to being penalized.

Rather than this being an unwarranted debate, I think it reflects much
deeper disagreements about personal responsibility, the role of government,
and the effectiveness of legal requirements.  Given its ties to these deeper
issues, the debate is probably useless, but not unwarranted.

Marc