[nabs-l] Ignorance, prejudice, and sighted domination

Jim Reed jim275_2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 05:37:16 UTC 2009

Jedi, Arielle, and others,

I know some of the post that I have writ en about ignorance, prejudice, and sighted domination may have made me seem like an ass hole, and I don't know, maybe I am. But I am being forced (not literally) into a culture that as of six months ago, I did not give a damn about, and forced (literally) into a lifestyle that I so desperately hoped to avoid (blindness). All of a sudden, I am now being forced to make decisions and judgments about things, people, abilities, and disabilities that I have never had to make before, and I don't have adequate knowledge or experience to make those decisions. I suppose that with time and immersion, I will "get it", but for now, I guess I really don't. Or maybe I get it in theory, but not in practice. Until I "get it", I can only judge other blind people by the same standards as I expect to be judged; I expect to earn everything I get, and I expect to be judged based on my actions.

Thanks,
Jim

"From compromise and things half done,
Keep me with stern and stubborn pride,
And when at last the fight is won,
... Keep me still unsatisfied." --Louis Untermeyer