[nabs-l] Ignorance, prejudice, and sighted domination

Len Burns len at gatamundo.com
Fri Jun 19 07:58:03 UTC 2009

Jim,

To expect to earn everything you get and be judged upon your actions is
about as fair as it gets.  That is how sighted people treat one another,
and how they ought to treat us.

All humans have differences and similarities, and people adjust
differently to them.  People do or do not like others because of gender,
race, sexual orientation, disability, and a few hundred other aspects of
being human.

When I am in a room full of people, I know that within that group there
are those who will be forever anxious because I walk out my door each
day, those who may not be familiar with me but are far more interested
in my role in the group than if I can see, and a majority who fall
somewhere between those extremes.  Those in the middle ground are people
I can likely influence if I have enough time and contact.

When I was hired for my last job, I learned that several people had
confronted the hiring manager regarding his decition to hire me.  They
told him that I would be unable to work with the population we served.
At that time, I had been a licensed family therapist for over 15 years,
and had worked in everything from private practice to the toughest
agency settings.   aI knew who they were, and took it upon myself to win
them through professional respect.  In this case I was successful.

Over the years, I can count the number of clients who have responded
negatively to my blindness on about two fingers.  Because I am skilled
at my trade, the focus is upon the reasons they are in my office,
whether or not I can see is a practical matter.

-Len