[nabs-l] should the blind adapt to the world, or should the world adapt to us?

mworkman at ualberta.ca mworkman at ualberta.ca
Fri Jun 19 17:06:26 UTC 2009

I'm not sure, Steve, if the criticism of over-simplifying these issues
includes this particular discussion, but I can say that I'm genuinely trying
to gain a deeper understanding of the thinking on these matters.  Perhaps
there is no uniform NFB position, which is fine, perhaps the best we can do
is put forward our thinking on the matter and see if we can get a better
sense of why people hold the positions they do.  I'd be happy with that.

I probably don't have to say this, but I will.  This is not an exercise in
NFB bashing.  If I were an american, I'd almost certainly be an active NFB
member.  I've even travelled from central Alberta to a national convention
in Dallas and enjoyed it very much.  I became active in the blindness
movement in Canada after attending that convention, and I'm now on the
National Board of one of the many advocacy organizations here in Canada.
For me, this is primarily a philosophical discussion, much like if we were
discussing equality or independence.  People cannot possibly all agree on
what exactly equality means, nor should we, but it's a discussion worth
having all the same.

I also would rather avoid getting bogged down in specific instances that
carry a lot of emotional weight.  The problem I find is that it is very
difficult to discuss this stuff purely in the abstract.  It is much easier
with a concrete example, but unfortunately, using a concrete example usually
requires simplifying the specific case to some extent.

You say we do need to weigh the costs of altering the environment, which
come in the form of perpetuation of negative stereotypes etc, against the
benefits.  I don't want to sound naive.  I recognize the potential for these
costs.  I just can't let the possibility that someone will misinterpret what
I'm doing stop me from doing something that I otherwise believe is right.  I
also think that steps can be taken to minimize or eliminate the negative
possibilities.  These steps come primarily in the form of education.  I
don't think we're going to come together on this one.  It might be the first
place where people simply disagree with one another.

I'm not sure that believing in universal design as a principle that should
govern the design of environments, products, and services necessarily
requires us to stop examining costs and benefits.  For me, the belief in
universal design is like the belief in equality or autonomey.  We all want
equality for blind citizens.  You say yourself that we all want equal access
to education but that what constitutes equal access will differ in specific
cases.  I think universal design is similar.  It is an over arching
principle like equality or independence that we should always be striving
for.  We won't always agree on the best way to achieve it, but we should all
work towards it in the best way we know how.  I don't think the NFB, in
general, believes in universal design in the way it believes in equality and
independence, at least not when it comes to the built environment.

The point about environmental changes not allowing us to fully develop our
skills is an excellent one.  At least, I can totally understand why someone
would oppose changes on these grounds.  My initial thoughts are to say that
universal design and excellent blindness training are compatible, but I know
this doesn't quite get at what your saying.  I also want to say that if I
didn't have to spend as much time developing my skills to deal with a badly
designed environment, I might be able to spend my time on more interesting
and important things like studying and spending time with friends and
family.  I could see you saying that I will learn the hard way that not all
environments can be universally designed, so by making some environments
easier to navigate, I'm setting myself up to fail in environments that are
harder.  I guess I would say that's how things are today, so nothing really
would change except that the number of places where I need to bust out my
top skills would be minimized.  So we would still need great training
centres, which is perfectly compatible with universal design, and there
would still be places where you would need to employ higher-level skills.

I admit that I'm not entirely satisfied with the response I've just offered.
I need to think more about it.  I know I'm not comfortable with the idea
that we should leave the environment badly designed so that it forces us to
acquire and maintain better skills.  If you take it to the extreme, it
actually raises the possibility that we should make the environment harder
to navigate so that we are forced to acquire and maintain better blindness
skills.  I know that's not what you're saying, but it seems like a plausible
implication of the argument.

Finally, I will point out that universal design is compatible with
specialized services.  I believe that universal design is simply, to the
greatest extent possible, designing things in ways that take into
consideration differences in ability, skill, training, intelligence, etc.
There are more detailed definitions, but I think that one will do.  So
whenever it is not possible to design something in a way that will meet
everyone's unique needs, then special adaptation is perfectly acceptable.
The goal is to minimize the need for special adaptation.  There is no reason
special adaptation cannot exist if necessary.

Thanks for the interesting observations.

Marc