[nabs-l] should the blind adapt to the world, or should the world adapt to us?

alena roberts alena.roberts2282 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 19 18:53:00 UTC 2009

I am really finding this discussion fascinating. I am glad to see that
we're all comfortable offering our opinions, even if they aren't the
same as someone elses. I want to second what Mark said. When I brought
up this topic, I never intended for it to be a NFB or any other
organization bashing. I am not a member of any organization and
probably never will be.

I also understand that getting into specific situations will only
cause grief, but it seems like with this issue that being abstract
really doesn't address the issue properly.

For those of you that appose universal design in any way I would
challenge you to think about what Mark and I have said. I don't want
life handed to me on a silver platter, but I also don't want to spend
all my energy figuring out how I'm going to accomplish something
because it's completely inaccessible to me because of my disability. I
can't count how many jobs I haven't gotten because of software issues.
How many of here know that we could have any job we wanted if we had
more usable vision? I know universal design isn't going to solve
everything, but when companies want to offer their products, services,
and environments to everyone they usually do a good job.

I also think we all need to stop worrying about what sighted people
are going to think. I've dealt with so much prejudice in my life, and
I don't see that disappearing anytime soon. As a blind person all I
can do is educate the people around me, and show them that their
stereotypes are wrong.

--
Alena Roberts
Blog: http://www.blindgal.com/