[nabs-l] march for Independence

JMassay jmassay1 at cox.net
Sun Jun 21 03:07:48 UTC 2009

Jim,

I think it is unfortunate that you will not be walking in the march for
Independence. Aside from raising money to support the Imagination Fund, it
is a public opportunity to display our independence .  While it is true that
there will always be people who gawk at anyone different from themselves,
that is not an acceptable excuse to not participate. Each one of us has an
opportunity , if not many, everyday to demonstrate that blindness is not a
tragedy. By participating fully in life, and proudly doing so, you can make
a difference in educating someone about the capabilities of yourself and the
other blind members of the organization that you have become a part of. It
can be difficult to not pay attention to what you think others perceptions
might be, but seriously?  Do you really care about someone who would think
you (we ), are a "freak" show?

Jeannie