[nabs-l] should the blind adapt to the world, or should the world adapt to us?

Len Burns len at gatamundo.com
Sun Jun 21 22:29:52 UTC 2009

Joe,

I think you are giving way too much credit to these signals.  How many
times have you seen/heard/whatever people make unsafe crossings without
such distractions?  I observe this all the time, whether there happens
to be an auditory signal in the neighborhood or not.

I am not at risk for such a mishap for the simple reason that I use such
signals as one, and only one, piece of information to decide when it is
safe to cross a street.

I do agree with you on the quality of many of the signals however.  They
can be implemented to be inoffensive, with clear safe indicators.  Do
you know why the better quality ones have not been used in this
commuity?  It is because of squabbling between blindness organizations.
  On one street the better quality ones were ripped out and the ones
such as you describe put in their place.  I in in a position to know
because I know the person who fought to have it done right.  I define
better quality as the ones with a quiet sound indicating the location of
the walk button, and spoken indicators when the signal changes as to
which direction has the walk sign.  This are unambiguous and not a
public nuisance.

-Len