[nabs-l] should the blind adapt to the world, or should the world adapt to us?

alena roberts alena.roberts2282 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 02:30:38 UTC 2009

I want to respond to a couple of things. I think we're really off
topic from where we started with, but that's okay. I think that
conversation is what I wanted, and all of you have given that to me.

I have never crossed because I heard an audible signal a block away.
My hearing knows that the sound isn't loud enough, so I ignore it, I
also always listen to my traffic and the audible signal. I agree with
Len that the quiter signals that talk to you are better than the
chirpers, but in my opinion having something is better than nothing.
Before I moved to Corvallis, I had to cross at inersections that were
unsafe for me because they wre hard to read. In those cases, audible
signals would have been very helpful.

As far as the currency goes, I don't think it matters how many
american dollars are made vs. some other countries currency. There are
ways to transform the bills without using tactile markings, and if the
$1 wasn't changed, most vending machines wouldn't have to be changed.
Money management is such a vital skill in my opinion, and I think that
I should have the right to use cash if I want to. I choose not to
because I can't distinguish it on my own, I don't have an expensive
machine that will tell me what denomination I have, and I am trusting
sighted people to be honest with me.

Those are just some thoughts.

--
Alena Roberts